Pilgrim Celebrates 102nd Anniversart
Pilgrim Celebrates 102nd Anniversart
 

Pilgrim's History

In 1913, the late Reverend and Mrs. Ernest Twyman, Deacon and Mrs. John Giles, Deacon Lockman, and George and Rosa Yancey, along with a few other dedicated Christians were inspired to establish a Baptist Church in Newark, Delaware. Its first service was held in a tent on Church Street.  Sometime later, a building previously used as a movie theater for colored people, was purchased from Under-taker Jones to be used for services.  The church was to be called "The Pilgrim Baptist Church". 


In 1984, a parcel of land located on Barksdale Road spanning nearly 2.5 acres was purchased for the new facility.  Reverend Daniel McDonald, Pastor of the Calvary Baptist Church, delivered a powerful encouraging message at the groundbreaking ceremony on Palm Sunday in 1992.  Construction on the new church began in the spring of 1993.  Dedication services were held on Saturday, April 30, 1994,  "To God Be The Glory".  The members walked from the old Pilgrim to the new Pilgrim.


Pilgrim Baptist Church is a member of the National Baptist Convention, U.S.A., Inc., the United Baptist State Convention of Delaware, the Mount Zion Missionary Baptist Association of Delaware Inc., the New England Missionary Baptist Convention, and the Interdenominational Church Ushers Association of Delaware Inc.

 

Pilgrim's Pastors
Reverend Ernest Twyman (1913 - July 1946)

34 Years as Pastor

  •  Pilgrim Baptist Church established
  •   Two persons licensed to preach
  •   Under his leadership, the following were organized: The     Diaconate Ministry, the Missionary Society, and the    Prayer Band

Reverend Isaac S. Holmes (December 1947 - June 1975)

28 Years as Pastor

  • Under his leadership, the following were organized: 23 Auxiliaries; Senior and Junior Usher Board, Flower Club, Willing Workers, Senior Choir, Young Adult Choir, Junior Choir, Male Chorus, Holmes Chorus, Ever-ready Chorus (Wives of the Male Chorus), the Pilgrim Boys, and Annual Youth Day.

 First known musician, Reverend David Minus 

 

Reverend John C. Woodard, (March 1976 - September  1995)  

19 Years as Pastor

  • Six men ordained as Deacons 
  •  Four persons licensed to preach
  •  Land purchased on Barksdale Road and the new Pilgrim edifice was built

Reverend Paul Hayes (October 1995)

Interim Pastor


Reverend David L. Minus (November 1996 - June 1997) Interim Pastor

  •  Two persons licensed to preach
  •  Theme: "Together as One"
  • Under his leadership, a successful community Lenton Service was started.

Reverend Michael A. Alston (June 1997 - February 2003)  

5 years as Pastor

  •  Three couples joined the Diaconate Ministry
  • Under his leadership, the following were organized: Sign Ministry, Daughter's of Christ, Prayer Ministry, Super Sixties, and the Men's Fellowship

Reverend Clifton Bundick (April 2003 - October 2004) Interim Pastor

  •  Pastor Bundick's primary focus was "Pray and Love One  Another"

Reverend Dr. Lonnie E. Rector (November 2004 -  Present)             

  •  Three couples joined the Diaconate Ministry
  • Theme: "Growing from Information to Application to Sanctification"
  • Under his leadership, the following were organized: The Junior Outreach Ministry, the Young Women's Auxiliary Ministry (YWAs), and Traffic Control
  • Creation of the Pilgrim Baptist Church Website
Print Print | Sitemap Recommend this page Recommend this page
© Pilgrim Baptist Church

Contact Us

Pilgrim Baptist Church 

1325 Barksdale RD

Newark, DE 19711

 

Rev. Dr. Lonnie E. Rector, Pastor

 

 

Phone:

 (302) 453-8790

 Email: pilgrimbaptistdel@gmail.com

 

Sundays

9:00 AM

Church School & New Member Classes

10:00AM

Morning Worship

 

Study to shew thyself

approved unto God, a

workman that needeth not

to be ashamed, rightly dividing

the word of truth.

2Timothy 2:15B